The average individual might look at a hot female character in a video game and do one of several things, that being drool, exclaim how hot they really are, and possibly roll their eyes. These are pretty typical reactions since the average female character in one game or another doesn’t wear much clothing and tends to jiggle in all the right places to get male players excited. It’s hard to get past this but it is possible since apart from that, some of the moves that various characters use can be a little erotic and erode the point that’s trying to be made even further. But when it comes to learning anything from game characters, there are a few lessons that can be imparted to female gamers if one can get past the alluring physicality of each character. Let’s take a look at a few and see what can be seen.
Chun-Li: Street Fighter
One of the most popular fighters of her game, Chun-Li is also one of the most well-known since she’s been around for so long. Among her best traits are the fact that she is:
- Resourceful: As an Interpol agent, Chun-Li knows how to get things done and when it comes to a fight she’s one of the more capable fighters in the game since she has a few of the more powerful attacks that allow her to accommodate for her size when it comes to fighting larger opponents. The idea that she’s weaker because she’s smaller would certainly work to throw off more than one opponent in real life, much as it does in the real world.
- Disciplined: While Chun-Li can allow her emotions to get the best of her every now and then, she’s usually in control of herself in every way and can maintain her composure in the face of any challenge. Why is any of this important in real life? That’s pretty simple. In real life, people and situations are going to challenge everyone at some point in time. Staying calm and composed while being aware of one’s options in any given situation is important when attempting to simply get through life.
It doesn’t matter if the going gets rough in life or if it’s smooth sailing, the discipline to push forward and not deviate and the resourcefulness to switch gears when life threatens to stand in your way is important.
Ivy Valentine: SoulCalibur
If ever there were a sexualized character, Ivy is it since she looks like a vision set between Victoria’s Secret and a leather bondage magazine. But what’s really amusing is how awesome this character is when a person gets past her alluring looks and wicked weapon, which actually has the best range of any in her game. A person might find that she’s:
- Determined: Upon finding out that she’s the biological daughter of the man that wielded the weapon that drove her foster father mad in his attempt to understand it, Ivy embarks on a quest to bring the villain to heel. She’s beaten more than once during her travels, and is nearly slain a few times, but nothing deters her in the quest she’s given herself. This level of determination is sometimes necessary to get through life, especially the hard times.
- Focused: Ivy is the type of character that doesn’t deviate from her goal unless it’s absolutely necessary, as her quest for her father took her around the world and put her in some of the toughest situations possible. She was so focused that she didn’t care that the destruction of the evil sword, Soul Edge, would have meant her death as well.
While she’s a bit edgier than some characters, Ivy is still a great example of the razor-sharp focus and iron will that is needed to get through the harder and more depressing aspects of life.
Lara Croft: Tomb Raider
It’s fair to think that a lot of people would already be guessing Lara’s best attributes, and no, we’re not describing physical attributes since this isn’t that kind of article. But while men have been drooling over the character for so long, it’s easy to hope that women would have noticed a couple of very telling traits such as her:
- Intelligence: Lara is the type that walks into a place with the knowledge of how to get out again, or the wisdom to know what her options will be. While she’s definitely tough and independent enough to come prepared, she’s also smart enough to know most times that she’s not the only person that’s after whatever it is she’s going for, even if she doesn’t know who the competition is. That’s why Laura tends to come prepared, and is always ready to improve if needed. One can’t put a price on that kind of intelligence.
- Fearlessness: This woman wades into some of the most dangerous locations and situations with barely a look back at times, as she knows that each adventure could be her end. But looking back is a mistake since it might make a person miss what’s right in front of them waiting to be experienced. If nothing else, being fearless doesn’t necessarily mean an absence of fear, but the denial of allowing it to take hold of one’s life.
Being tough is all well and good, but being smart enough to know how to apply that strength and fearless enough to keep moving forward allows one to tackle life, not be tackled by it.
Sonya Blade: Mortal Kombat
It’s amusing to think that Sonya almost wasn’t in this game at all, but was added in later. It’s a good thing she was though since she helped to balance things out in a big way. Sadly, she hasn’t been given a great look in the movies thus far. But the character is still impressive for a couple of reasons, those being:
- Her tactical skills: Sonya is a hard as nails woman in what many still think of as a man’s army, or at least they did when the game first came out. She proved very quickly in the game and in the movies that her rational and tactical way of thinking was bound to outwit her opponents and give her a serious advantage on the battlefield. In real life, being able to think your way around corners is a skill that many prize but few ever think to develop.
- Her loyalty: Even those she doesn’t happen to like that much can count on Sonya’s loyalty if their interests are aligned. This is pretty obvious with Johnny Cage since initially Sonya can’t stand him, but she’s not about to let him get dusted by anyone since he’s still a valuable ally. Some might say that loyalty is overrated, but in life, loyalty is a province of the wise since extending one’s trust to another human being is a wise move as it can gain allies and even friends.
Sonya might not be the friendliest character on the list, but as it’s shown in the games, she becomes one of the most dedicated allies and eventually starts trusting others that are aligned with her goals. Loyalty might be tough sometimes, but it’s worth it when others prove that you can trust them.
Yuna: Final Fantasy X
Yuna starts out fairly simple, a young girl that’s just become a Summoner in her game, and a naïve one at that since she hasn’t seen much of the world before leaving her island home of Besaid. But she has a few qualities that aid her on her quest and that other Summoners in the game are seen to lack as one continues onward, qualities that are highly prized such as:
- Inner strength: One might not think too much about this at times, but inner strength is essentially the strength of heart that one possesses, and that can be tested when things get rough. Yuna is tested in many ways throughout the game and one can see how a person’s heart would break over and over with what she goes through. But in the game, and in life, it is the strength that one has on the inside that allows us to keep getting up, keep moving forward, and keep reminding ourselves that life is a fine thing, and worth fighting for if need be.
- Empathy: Yuna is not a hardened individual, but neither is she weak. She feels the pain of others and feels for them as well, sharing their sorrows and hardships while telling and showing them that there is more to life than constant suffering. Empathizing with others is not weakness, nor is it something to shy from. When one comes to understand, or at least comfort others by trying to understand, they show the depth of their humanity.
If there’s any lesson to be gleaned from Yuna, it’s to remember what it is that makes us human, and why it is wise to embrace our own humanity.
It’s educational, sort of
If nothing else, female video game characters can impart lessons to those that choose to learn how to be a little more human. It might only be a game, but there’s more humanity in some of these characters than there is in actual humans sometimes, and at the very least one can get a lesson in humility by learning the stories of some of these characters. And yes, they’re fun to look at too.